Day in the Life: Summer 2016

It’s time for another Day in the Life post! My last one (and only one) was when she was three months old. Actually my goal was to do them at 3 months, 6, 9, and 12. But… that didn’t happen, which I’m kind of sad about. I know I am going to love going back to these someday and wondering what we did with her during the day as she grows.

Day in the Life: Summer 2016

Friday July 29th, 2016

Chris is 33, Risa is 30, Olivia is 8.5 months, and Toby is 7 years old.

4:00 am- I hear Olivia wake up on the monitor, get up to go nurse her, thankful she made it this long.

4:28 am- I get back in bed, but I can’t fall back asleep. Story of my life. Start thinking about anything and everything. In some ways, I miss bed-sharing in the early morning hours because I used to be able to go back to sleep when she nursed in bed with me.

5:00 am- Chris’s alarm goes off. He gets up to go shower. I know this because I’m still awake and thinking about the menu for Olivia’s first birthday party.

5:45 am- I think I fall back to sleep.

7:30 am- Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.

7:44 am- Get out of bed, go see Olivia and give her a kiss or four. I give her some toys to play with in her crib while I go shower.

8:00 am- Take Olivia out of her crib, change her and let her crawl around in her diaper.

I finish getting ready.

My mirror. ‘Tis dusty. One of these days I really need to wipe it down. Also, this was the best selfie out of nine photos. Apparently I suck at this too.

8:23 am- Check the weather from my phone. It’s supposed to be in the low 80s. Dress Olivia and brush her hair. She was NOT happy I wouldn’t let her munch on my boobs instead.

8:28 am- Nurse her properly up in the glider where my back won’t kill. Meanwhile, I’m dying of thirst.

8:46 am- Finish nursing and head out to the living room.

8:53 am- Make breakfast for myself. Cereal, Greek yogurt and OJ. Pretty run-of-the-mill.

8:55 am- Take pity on the baby so I give her a sweet potato and banana wafer while she plays on the floor.


9:00 am- Olivia makes a mad dash to Toby’s food bowl, so I put her in living room and find wafers stuck to her butt. Pick off the big pieces and resume breakfast.

9:04 am- Finish breakfast, start loading the dishwasher.

9:06 am- Olivia makes another mad dash at the dog food bowls.

9:12 am- Dishes finished, I brush my teeth while Olivia makes a mad dash to the lamp cord. It’s only just started, hasn’t it?***

But Mama I just want to bite this cord a little, mmkay?

9:18 am- Pack her in the car and am all ready to go, but I can’t find my car keys. Fly through the house.

9:19 am- Found them in diaper bag. We’re off to run errands and shop with my friend, Amanda and her son.

Mama, I knew where your keys were the whole time, but you wouldn’t let me chew on the lamp cord.

9:26 am- Olivia sneezes from the backseat. I squee a little to myself because ZOMG IT’S THE CUUUUTEST THING EVAH!

9:34 am- Pull into Target. Meet Amanda and baby by customer service. Olivia greets her boyfriend.

Hai boyfriend. There are too many bars separating us.

10:28 am- I went in for a birthday present for my little cousin. Somehow I also came out with a shower curtain, a sippy cup with a straw to try and some baby suction bowls. Damn you, Target. We finish shopping.

10:39 am- Buckle her in to her car seat and follow Amanda to the kids consignment store where they are having a massive sale.

10:44 am- Arrive at the store and put Olivia in the Tula. Amanda has done the same with her baby. We joke about needing to take a picture of them.

11:10 am- We left the store, sans adorable picture. Boo. But I did buy two outfits for my soon to be born nephew, two big and probably obnoxious toys for Olivia and several outfits for $24.

11:29 am- Olivia and I arrive back home and she is asleep.

11:33 am- Bring her to her room, turn her lullaby on, change her diaper and nurse her.

11:56 am- Lay her down. She is completely milk drunk and falls asleep right away. Turn on white noise and head outside to pick basil and onion for dinner tonight.

12:12 pm- Come back in from picking vegetables and start prepping dinner.

12:45 pm- Finish making the bruschetta topping for the grilled chicken and I hear Olivia crying. She usually does this as she cycles through her REM sleep, so I wait it out and sure enough she is back asleep in just a few minutes. I make lunch: The rest of these amazing Black Bean Avocado Quesadillas from the night before.

1:00 pm- Finish lunch, start cleaning the kitchen, load the dishes, and head downstairs. The baby is still passed out.

1:44 pm- Realize I was suppose to FaceTime with Celina earlier today so call her up to chat.

2:23 pm- We apparently can talk for a long time. I guess that happens when you live across the country from each other. Olivia wakes up so I go get her from her crib, and text my mom that we’re coming over as planned.

2:32 pm- Buckle her into the car, head over to my parents. My mom has bought some new toys and clothes for Olivia. I should have taken pictures. Wah wah.

3:50 pm- Change her diaper. Olivia is having a blast playing with the new toys and climbing on Grandma.

4:09 pm- Say goodbye to my parents and pack her back up in the car to go home. I take the roundabout way home to avoid rush hour.

4:27 pm- Arrive home, bring Olivia into bedroom and start up her lullaby music and pull her shades. She knows it’s nap time and automatically rubs her eyes.

4:37 pm- Nurse her quick and lay her down in the crib. Start picking up living room because we are having people over tomorrow. I don’t want them to think we live with a baby. Madly clean house.

5:00 pm- Chris walks in the door. We sit on the couches and talk for a bit about our day while I clean.

5:34 pm- We hear Olivia awake on the monitor, so Chris gets her while I start dinner. He comes out with her and then goes outside to start the grill.

5:45 pm- Give Olivia a second wafer while she plays on floor.

I dice a mozzarella ball and add it to the bruschetta mixture I made this morning.

6:00 pm- We sit down to dinner as a family- Grilled Chicken Bruschetta (which is amazeballs in case you were wondering), Brussels sprouts (more for Olivia’s benefit than ours), green beans with lemon juice from the farmers market and Olivia also has some leftover corn cob. I thought she would like eating strips of chicken, but no. No she didn’t care.

6:30 pm- We finish dinner and Chris cleans up while I play with Olivia in the living room.

6:50 pm- Nurse on the floor in my lap after some serious Shirt Pulling.

6:53 pm- Decides she is going to be done so she could climb on Daddy who finishes the dishes and came to play.

7:16 pm- Bath time! We do have her own bathtub, but for months now, I have gone in there with her and it is SO much easier to wash her and hang on to her amidst her kamikazes into the water to retrieve bath toys.

This turtle is SO worth trying to drown myself repeatedly.

7:37 pm- Olivia tells us she done with her bath by giving us an ear-piercing shriek. Chris takes her to dry her off and get her into her pajamas while I get out and get into my own pajamas.

7:45 pm- She is ready for bed, unfortunately later than usual, and I nurse her in the glider while Chris draws the shades and turns her white noise on.

8:12 pm- Put her in her crib and say goodnight. She is almost asleep.

8:30 pm- Grab her laundry basket that Chris took from her room and throw her clothes into the washer downstairs. Join Chris on the couch.

8:50 pm- We turn on the movie The Revenant while I catch up on this blog and write an article that needs to get submitted.

9:56 pm- I go upstairs to get my Juice Plus chewies, and see the extra chicken we had grilled for my salads still sitting there on the counter. Ugh. Since I am a germaphobe, I throw it in the garbage, dying a little inside. Stalk downstairs to start a fight with Chris over forgetting to put it in the fridge when he was cleaning up the kitchen.

10:09 pm- Her laundry is done, so I fold it and put it back in the basket where it will probably sit for four days. Continue writing.

10:30 pm- The movie isn’t over, but I need to get to bed to read and “calm myself” for sleep otherwise I will be up for hours. Head upstairs and Chris starts playing his video game. I brush my teeth, turn on my own white noise, take my heartburn meds and vitamin and get into bed to read.

10:40 pm- Chris surprises me by coming to bed with his book he is almost done reading.

11:03 pm- Lights out! I hope Olivia sleeps a good stretch like she did last night.

And there you have it: a riveting Friday, everyone.

*** If anyone has any stellar baby-proofing advice on this lamp cord, please share.

You might also like

Leave a Reply

1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Amber Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Notify of

It's always fun for me to read other people's DITL stories. I'm so impressed with her sleeping skills! Good job momma! And about that cord… Yeah, we just had to remove all cords. Lol. Not helpful, right? My two didn't (and still don't) leave anything alone!